Ochsner Health System Receives Prestigious 2018 HIMSS Davies Award Of Excellence For Innovation Work
NEW ORLEANS – Ochsner Health System was recently selected as a 2018 Healthcare Information and Management Systems Society (HIMSS) Davies Award recipient for its innovation work of digital medicine solutions.
Ochsner’s commitment to advancing healthcare has come to life through the integration of specialized digital medicine solutions within Epic, its electronic health record (EHR). Through the health system’s innovation lab, innovationOchsner (iO), the team was recognized for its implementation of three digital medicine solutions:
- Hypertension Digital Medicine
- Connected MOM (Maternity Online Monitoring)
- Diabetes Digital Medicine
iO developed data capture tools within patient portals to understand all aspects of care that affect outcomes in chronic conditions and obstetrical care. Risk models were constructed to assist in providing guideline-based care driven by data captured through digital links to patients. Dashboards highlighting key data and risk elements were created for pharmacists and health coaches to augment care interventions, including guideline-driven medication treatment, as well as lifestyle and behavioral changes. Through their portals, patients receive monthly reports highlighting progress, changes in risk and helpful self-care advice. All of this data is accessible to providers at all times, who all receive progress summaries for all patients enrolled in the program.
The following results were observed during the programs’ pilot:
- Hypertension Digital Medicine: blood pressure successfully controlled in 71 percent of previously uncontrolled patients within the first 90 days including demonstrated improvements in diet, patient engagement and satisfaction.
- Connected MOM: up to 30 percent reduction in the number of in-person routine obstetrical visits.
- Diabetes Digital Medicine: achieved nearly one percent drop in in hemoglobin A1c levels, as well as significant improvement in closing care gaps pertaining to eye exams and screenings.
- Leveraging these tools in the EHR allowed Ochsner staff to obtain a more robust personal and social history of each patient, while also increasing patient satisfaction and decreasing office visits.